Public health researcher with over 7 years of research experience in the sector of health, particularly in operations research, monitoring and evaluation studies with wider understanding of evaluation methods. Led and managed several research projects including national level surveillance study and has experience in designing and managing large scale surveys. Area of expertise also include undertaking desk based literature review including systematic review with knowledge of critical appraisal techniques. Works as Senior Manager: Health System Research, Evaluation and Learning at HERD International and is a member of Senior Management Team.
Master of Public Health (MPH), University of Sheffield, UK [Merit] January, 2013
Bachelor of Public Health (BPH), Pokhara University, Nepal [Distinction] October, 2009
Work undertaken that best illustrates capability to handle the tasks assigned
- Factors affecting stock-out of essential medicines in government health facilities of Nepal: National level study (June 2018-Oct 2019), funded by USAID. Responsible for overall management with leadership in study design, tools design, data analysis and report writing of this large scale study that applies both qualitative and quantitative methods reaching out to 275 health facilities from all 7 provinces of the country.
- Improving access to Diabetes Care in Nepal: 3-year project funded by World Diabetes Foundation, Denmark (May 2016-February 2019). Managed this project from 2018 onwards that involved implementing diabetes care interventions in 2 earthquake affected districts, overseeing the work of two district based officers, managed and analyzed qualitative and quantitative data to assess the effectiveness of interventions, developed periodic and final project reports.
- Status of maternal, infant and neonatal mortality in 3 districts of Nepal: Technical advisor for this study funded by One Heart World-Wide (July 2018- Jan 2019), which aimed at determining MMR, IMR and NMR and assessing underlying causes/determinants of deaths through analyzing health facility data, and conducting household survey and social autopsy. Provided technical feedback during tools development, design of the methodology for data collection, and review of report.
- Survey for urban equity (SUE): Project Manager in this 2-year mixed methods research study funded by Medical Research Council, UK/University of Leeds (April 2017-March 2019), which involved use of novel methods in sampling, mapping, enumeration and visualization of data to assess mental health and injuries and using data to address urban inequities. Managed this study from 2018, leading qualitative aspect of the study, used qualitative research techniques and participatory approaches for generating evidence, engaged in coding and analysis of qualitative data using NVivo, developed analysis report and currently writing manuscripts for publications.
- Tobacco cessation within TB programs-A randomized controlled trial: Team member in this multi-country intervention study (trial component is not being implemented in Nepal), funded by European Commission/University of York, UK (Nov 2016-Dec 2019). Involved as M&E Manager with major responsibilities of monitoring study activities, managing and validating quantitative data, engaged in coding and analysis of qualitative data using NVivo, developed analysis report and drafting publications.
- Support to implementation of Multi-Sector Nutrition Plan (MSNP): Monitoring and Evaluation Manager for this implementation project covering 28 districts, funded by European Commission/UNICEF (Mid 2016-June 2018), which aimed to strengthen implementation of MSNP to improve maternal and child nutrition status. Overall role involved recruitment of big project team, designing of the project modalities and developing TORs of project team, monitored project activities and outputs, designed new and revised existing indicators for evaluation of activities for 7 different ministries, provided technical advice in the design of the software for monitoring the outputs, review and analysis of regular reports, documentation and developed periodic technical reports.
- National Nutrition Sentinel Based Surveillance: Led this national surveillance study of first of its kind (mid 2016-December 2017), conducted for Child Health Division, Ministry of Health, funded by EC/UNICEF, piloted in 2 districts. Involved in design of study methodology and approaches, developed surveillance tools and manual in team, recruited and trained researchers and oriented district level health team, organized workshops with Government officials, monitored data activities and quality, analyzed data using SPSS and developed study report.
- Strengthening National Family Planning Program: Project Manager for this two-year study on monitoring and evaluation of 3 family planning interventions implemented by different agencies, co-funded by DFID and USAID (mid-2014 to mid-2016). Roles involved:
- Managed 3 independent evaluation studies – involved in designing evaluation plans, developed evaluation indicators and tools, recruited and trained researchers, monitored data collection, analyzed data and led the development of evaluation reports.
- Led one and supported three literature reviews to identify gaps and barriers in utilization of family planning services among young people (led), muslim communities, urban poor and migrants couples.
- Management support for the Government of Nepal’s national Joint Annual Review (JAR) meeting: Supported organization and management of meetings reviewing national health plans and programs including those supported by external development partners in 2015 and 2016.
Study and relief support in emergencies: Active involvement in relief support and implementation of Rapid Structural Assessment of Schools in the aftermath of 2015 earthquake in 11 hard-hit districts of Nepal. Roles involved planning of the assessment process, conducting training to researchers, coordination and management of logistics, monitoring and supervision, assisted in data analysis and report.
Key reports and publications
- Mirzoev T., Poudel A.N., Gissing S.C., Doan D.T., Ferdous T., Regmi S., et al. 2019. Is evidence-informed urban health planning a myth or a reality? Lessons from a qualitative assessment in three Asian cities. Health Policy and Planning 2019.
- Puri M., Regmi S., Tamang A and Shrestha P. Road map to scaling-up: translating operations research study’s results into actions for expanding medical abortion services in rural health facilities in Nepal. Health Research Policy and Systems 2014, 12:24.
- Regmi S., Rajbanshi S., Khimbanjar S., Subedi HN, Baral S. Nutrition Sentinel Based Surveillance: Piloting in Achham and Kapilvastu districts of Nepal. Phase I Report. Nepal: Ministry of Health, Child Health Division, European Union, HERD International and UNICEF Nepal. Final Report, 2017.
- Regmi S., Martinez J., Mahmood A., Joshi D., Giri S., Panta A., Baral SC. Mobilising Visiting Providers to expand access to Long Acting Reversible Contraception (LARC) in Ramechhap district, Nepal. Evaluation Report. HERD International and Mott MacDonald Ltd. Final report, 2016.
- Regmi S., Martinez J., Mahmood A., Giri S., Panta A., Baral SC. Expanding the range of family planning services through comprehensive VSC events (VSC+) in Baitadi and Darchula districts, Nepal. Evaluation Report. HERD International and Mott MacDonald Ltd. Final report, 2016.
- Regmi S., Baral SC., Khanal S. Understanding gaps and barriers in access to and use of family planning services by young people in Nepal: a review of literature. HERD International and Mott MacDonald Ltd. Final report, 2016.