Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS), on behalf of Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development (MoFALD) and Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD) has completed the Household Registration for Housing Reconstruction (HRHR) Survey in 11 most affected districts (Dolakha, Sindhupalchowk, Ramechhap, Okhaldhunga, Sindhuli, Makawanpur, Kavre, Nuwakot, Rasuwa, Dhading, Gorkha). Damage assessment in 3 districts (Kathmandu, Bhaktapur and Lalitpur) will begin from July, 2016.
In terms of survey management and governance, National Planning Commission (NPC) Secretariat leads the Steering Committee at the policy level comprising of line agencies such as Ministry of Finance (MoF), MoFALD, MoUD, Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA), National Reconstruction Authority (NRA), CBS and other stakeholders. The Steering Committee provides policy level decisions and guidance for smooth operations of the survey. There is also a Technical Committee led by CBS Director General with representation from various government and non-government stakeholders.
At the implementation level, there are various bodies at the central level such as Advisory Working Group (AWG), Central Technical Taskforce (CTTF) of CBS, Central Data Management Team (CDMT) and Central Support Staff (CSS). At the district level, there is District Survey Coordination Committee led by Chief District Officer (CDO). CBS Interlocutor leads the District Survey Management Group to execute data collection activities in the district.
HERD International as UNOPS Service Provider:
Based on the open call for bid submission through an Expression of Interest (EOI) by United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) dated August 7, 2015, (Shrawan 22, 2072 BS), HERD International submitted its EOI on August 14, 2015 (Shrawan 29, 2072 BS). After being short-listed, HERD International submitted the technical and financial proposal on October 5, 2015 (Ashwin 18, 2072 BS). With a couple of rounds of bid clarification during the end of October, HERD International was awarded the bid on November 09, 2015 (Kartik 23, 2072 BS).
HERD International was contracted by UNOPS for Human Resources, Logistics and Training Management Support to National Planning Commission (NPC)/Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) for the household assessment survey in 14 highly affected districts.
Our Involvement in this Project:
HERD was responsible for implementing three major project components:
1. Recruitment of Human Resources (About 1700 Surveyors with Civil Engineering background or similar): This recruitment process involved a standardized process of:
- interested applicants applying through an online portal available in www.herdint.com
- short-listing the applications based on standard screening criteria
- calling short-listed applicants for recruitment process
- assessment of applicants using standard objective test using tablets and group interview by a recruitment panel
- calling selected applicants for contract agreement
- generating final list for training programme and provide the list to government authorities
2. Training Management for surveyors and social mobilizers. Major processes involved were:
- identify appropriate training venue and manage the training event (technical facilitation of the training was conducted by respective government authorities)
- handing over the trained surveyors to the government authorities
3. Logistics Management for surveyors and social mobilizers for provision of survey kits
- receive, store and package survey logistics (kits) as per the list provided by UNOPS;
- distribute survey kits to surveyors and social mobilizers;
- recollect survey kits from the surveyors
For further details, please contact:
Mr Rajesh Ghimire,
Communications and Outreach Specialist,
HERD International, Thapathali, Kathmandu, Nepal